Monday, June 10, 2013

Mumford and Sons and Austin

06/09/2013
Mumford and Sons with Michael Kiwanuka and Mystery Jets
Austin360 Amphitheater- Austin, TX

Damn sun
Jonathan and I made a mini-vacay out of this Austin trip to see Mumford and Sons.  We explored West Sixth and some new restaurants (namely Moonshine Patio Bar & Grill).  And let me tell you... the concert was phenomenal.  And here's why:

1. The venue - It was similar to Cynthia Woods but smaller and yet more spacious.  Everyone respected your personal space.  We got to enjoy Mumford barefoot with plenty of elbow room.

2. The time - By the time Mumford took the stage, the sun had set and it was pretty decent weather.  Although Marcus Mumford pointed out a lovely phrase he's learned while on this tour - "It's hot as balls outside."

3 .The setlist - We got to hear the hits from Babel: Babel, Lover of the Light, and I Will Wait, the hits from Sigh No More: The Cave, Roll Away Your Stone, and Little Lion Man.  But my favorites of the night were White Blank Page and Awake My Soul.  It was my first time hearing White Blank Page live and the power and emotion of it was wonderful.  Awake My Soul is just a beautiful song and it gave me those sought-after concert-goosebumps.

4. The encore - I kid you not... Mumford and Sons kicked off the encore by covering THE BOSS.  They played I'm On Fire and it was the best thing in the whole wide world.  I couldn't stop clutching my chest in admiration.  It was beautiful.  Jonathan and I enjoyed the shit out of this concert and I'm so glad I got to enjoy it with him by my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment