Monday, June 10, 2013

Fancy FPSF

06/01/2013 - 06/02/2013
Free Press Summer Fest
Eleanor Tinsley Park- Houston, TX



I'm so glad this year's FPSF lived up to the expectations last year set.  I bought tickets early so I was able to get Fancy Pants passes pretty cheap.  The best thing about having these passes was a separate bar area to try St. Arnold's special White Noise brew.

Saturday:
Alabama Shakes - This may make me seem uncool but... I just realized the lead singer was a lady?  And this lady killed it.  This was a great show you can still sit in the shade and enjoy.
Borgore - Randomly made it to the smaller Neptune stage and got to see a bangin' dubstep show.  (This is Jonathan's secretly favorite genre.)  We always have so much fun at dubstep shows.
Passion Pit - A fabulous dance-worththy set.
The Postal Service - I think this was my favorite show of the weekend.  I got to hear The District Sleeps Alone Tonight, Sleeping In, Nothing Better, and Such Great Heights.  Highlight had to be Nothing Better.  Seeing Ben Gibbard and Jenny Lewis playing off of each other was pure delight.  Also we had the best spot on top of the hill where we could see the stage + screens perfectly.

Sunday:
Matt and Kim - Matt and Kim were back in full vulgar-force.  We were in a crappy spot on top of the hill so maybe I just coudn't fully appreciate this hit-filled party?
Of Monsters and Men - They sounded lovely and we got to hear Slow and Steady and Mountain Sound.  I kind of regret leaving mid-set because I missed Love Love Love... but it was probably worth it because of.... 
Macklemore and Ryan Lewis - Not only did I enjoy a rap show, I cried at one.  They played the beautiful Same Love, in support of gay marriage (or as Liz Feldman likes to call it... marriage).  Another highlight (besides the hits Thrift Shop and Can't Hold Us) was Wing$.  Also, he brought out Houston's (lesbian) mayor Annise Parker and the Houston Texan's J.J. Watt.  Legit.
Bassnectar - Of course we stayed for the closing dubstep show.  It was amazing.  Loud, crazy, and full of beat drops.  Also, Jonathan danced.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment